Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Something on my desk - and to live by

I really thought I had already blogged this but apparently not. I honestly don't remember where I found it for the first time, I'm sure it was on a blog that I'm not giving proper credit to but the important part is the concept. General Colin Powell, if you don't know who that is please read up on him a bit as he is a smart guy with an interesting story, has what has been credited to him as 13 Rules to Live By.


1. It ain't as bad as you think. It will look better in the morning.


2. Get mad, then get over it.


3. Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.


4. It can be done!


5. Be careful what you choose. You may get it.


6. Don't let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.


7. You can't make someone else's choices. You shouldn't let someone else make yours.


8. Check small things.


9. Share credit.


10. Remain calm. Be kind.


11. Have a vision.


12. Don't take counsel of your fears or naysayers.


13. Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.


These are simple ideas that are really powerful if you think about it. I will also note that on my copy at my desk I have 3 highlighted, #'s 2, 8, and 11. They really speak to me, I'm sure everyone is different but this is a good place to start trying to "be all you can be" (sorry couldn't resist).

No comments: