Sunday, November 1, 2009

Trying Again

As we turn the calendar yet again I am going to try and give the weightloss thing another serious try, hopefully I can stay on it. Those of you who have been around here for a long time know I had a lot of success last summer losing 47 pounds with my low being 223 August 2nd. Since those 14 months have passed I have put about 20 of those pounds back on with a fairly consistent low 240's appearing on the scale despite my fairly good walking routine.

I really believe that food (and more specifically portion control) is my biggest issue.

K, my wife has done a tremendous job losing weight this year and continues on the kick and I even heard her say something I never thought I would this morning. Paraphrase: "I kind of like exercising now". On some level I definitely see where she is coming from because her exercise and diet has had clear cut results.

So tonight I started 2 things, first is I am trying to lose weight. Specifically I want to get on and stay on the diet until the end of the year. Christmas eve may be an exception but I want to really try. That is 2 months, not a terribly long time but long enough to see if what I am doing is being successful.

Second, and more difficult is my goal to be able to complete a marathon at some point. That is a huge, giant goal for a tubo like me BUT I didn't necessarily say run it and I didn't say do it soon. What I would like to do in the near future, lets say 3 months (end of January) is to be conditioned well enough to do a 1/2 marathon. I am fairly positive I can do this as tonight, as my first step I walked a quarter marathon (or at least that is what I am calling it). I did 6.5 miles on the treadmill with it saying I burned 820 calories for my effort (and I don't trust those numbers but they are better than nothing). This marathon goal is kind of crazy for my build, I am short and stocky (and fat). God created people like me for lifting objects not running distance (hence the barrel chest and big calves) but this is my goal and I have access to it and can make the time only thing holding me back is me. Plus if I can make this happen it will be something I will always have, one of those life check mark things.

No comments: