Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mississippi State Football

I'm not breaking news here by commenting that Mississippi State Head Football Coach Sly Croom is no longer employed as HC at MSU. He has resigned, probably forcibly, and it is by and large the biggest topic of conversation among MSU folks. For some of my thoughts on our season so far you can see here or here or here or here . If you actually look at those you see my hopefulness at times and my despondency at others. So ... where do we go from here? At this point the great speculation game of who the next HC will be begins. I will try and keep of names I here mentioned and put them my own categories. Generally I would really want a D1 Head Coach at a mid-major who has won, I don't care about SEC ties. Let me say again I'm not advocating for all on this list just names I have heard or read on MSU football boards.

Guys I would Like
  • Brian Kelly (HC at Cincinnati)
  • Chris Peterson (HC at Boise State)
  • Todd Graham (HC at Tulsa)
  • Turner Gill (HC at Buffalo)
  • Bronco Mendenhall (HC at BYU)
I'm not so sure about
  • Skip Holtz (HC at East Carolina / I'm just not a fan)
  • Gary Patterson (HC at TCU / seems too old to me)
  • Major Applewhite (Ass. HC at Texas)
  • Steve Sarkioian (OC at USC)
  • Dan Mullen (OC at Florida)
  • Dan McCarney (Assistant HC at Florida)
  • Kevin Wilson (OC at Oklahoma)
  • Brent Venables (DC at Oklahoma)
  • Greg Davis (OC at Texas)
  • Steve Logan (OC at BC)
  • Tommy Bowden (former HC at Clemson)
  • Terry Bowden (former HC at Auburn / been out of the game a long time)
  • Dennis Franchione (former HC at Alabama)
  • Brad Scott (Ass. HC at Clemson)
Mentioned but don't think they would come
  • Mike Gundy (HC at Oklahoma St.)
  • Phil Fulmer (HC at Tenn. / forced out at end of year)
  • Tommy Tuberville (HC at Auburn / still there for now)
  • Jim Grobe (HC at Wake Forest)
  • Jeff Jagodzinski (HC at Boston College)
  • Mike Riley (HC at Oregon St.)
  • Ron Zook (HC at Illinois)
  • Paul Johnson (HC at Ga. Tech)
  • Frank Solich (HC at Ohio / I think he is too old anyway but I think he has settled into his last job)
  • Jimbo Fisher (Ass. HC at Florida St.)
  • Kyle Whittingham (HC at Utah)
Please No
  • Larry Blakney (HC at Troy)
  • Brady Hoke (HC at Ball State)
  • Dennis Erickson (HC at Arizona St.)
  • Art Briles (HC at Baylor)
  • Jeff Bower (former HC at USM / a CUSA retread, we can do better)
  • Mike Dubose (former Alabama HC / nobody with probation ties)
  • Mike Price (former Alabama HC)
  • Hal Mumme (HC at New Mexico / nobody with probation ties)
Why are these even mentioned?
  • Derrick Dooley (La. Tech AD, son of Vince Dooley)
  • Steve Campbell (HC at MGCCC)
  • Mark Hudspeth (HC at No. Alabama)

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Do you think we can get Tommy Tuberville?