Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Feminism

I will start this post with a nod toward the Sex Ed in Higher Ed blog that I found a couple of years ago and really enjoyed until the blogger got burned out (or whatever the correct term is). The point is Teacher Lady is back and I hope she gets that bloggin feeling back b/c she is often well thought out and well written (which is more than I can say for this quilt of a blog).

Teacher Lady discusses feminism just a bit with an example of what she experienced. My post, however, takes a different view and the timing is very apropos with Palin's big speech tonight. First off I will define feminism as what I see it. I see it as women empowerment, nothing more nothing less. In doing this some want equality (which I agree with, still don't get why women doing the same job as men get paid less) some want an entitlement (which I completely disagree with despite possible previous poor treatment) and others still want everyone to just agree with them on every issue (I'll call this the mob effect of believe or you're not cool enough to be with us).

Did I muddy that up enough for you? Well part of feminism has been pushed by professional women which dependent on situation is a good thing and other situations is not. What I mean by this is something I have talked about with several people in person that anybody wanting to be a professional is a good thing but when 2 people who are both professionals it makes marraige a lot harder than if one is and one is not. This double pro situation makes it harder to move, harder to make big job decisions, harder to make decisions about kids and day cares and schools, harder to stay together and be happy at the end of the day b/c many bring double the amount of stress home b/c most pro's are stressed at some level. This is something that can be overcome and many couples of professionals make it fine but it does make it harder than one "leader" and one "follower" (really bad words there but I'm on a roll) couples. The problem with feminism is that the loudest people pushing feminism are those who fit on the outskirts of the general movement who just wants to be treated fairly (much like the far left and far right don't represent most Democrats and Republicans but they make the most noise) and feminism gets a bad rap.

I'm not really sure why it just can't be equality, for me I don't like lazy women or lazy blacks but I also don't like lazy men or lazy whites. I don't want to get paid more than my due and I don't want others to be underpaid assuming they (be they man or woman) are pulling their weight. I actually enjoy reading of stories where the man stays home with the kids and the woman works, partly b/c its different and party b/c it shows that the couple can compromise for the betterment of the family as a whole.

I will wrap this up with a quote from wikipedia which helps explain why feminism is so confusing: "Feminist activists have campaigned for women's legal rights (rights of contract, property rights, voting rights); for women's right to bodily integrity and autonomy, for abortion rights, and for reproductive rights (including access to contraception and quality prenatal care); for protection from domestic violence, sexual harassment and rape; for workplace rights, including maternity leave and equal pay; and against other forms of discrimination."

Things I think most people don't have a beef with are right contract, vote, no domestic violence, no harassment or rape, workplace rights, maternity leave and equal pay. I think at this point most of these are a given for a vast majority of the U.S. population.

BUT feminism also seems to circle in on some level the debatable issues of "women's right to bodily integrity and autonomy, for abortion rights, and for reproductive rights (including access to contraception and quality prenatal care)" which just completely turns off a lot of people and then the whole message of feminism is screwed.

All of this is said to say that we have to fight ignorance and get more people informed and then be fine with others believing something different w/o tuning out the positives they have to say. I know fighting ignorance is a Sisyphian effort but we have to try so we are not surrounded by lemmings (which if you go to the mall it seems like we already are)

No comments: